Skip to main content

The battle is on!


Ughhh...The sickies have made it to our home! All I want to do is run for cover or put on a gas mask and pray no one coughs, wipes their nose on me or sneezes in my face! Haahhaaa! Such wishful thinking for mommy of three! There's not even the slightest chance I won't at least get sneezed on or have someone wiping their buggers on my shirt. Hey! That’s life when you have little kids. And expecting to have beautiful tops that don’t look like condors eliminated all over them is everyone woman’s dream, but not necessarily a reality!

Oh, and how I’d love to wear beautiful clothing on a regular basis. But for now, I’ll settle for my t-shirts, yoga pants and the occasional dress up moment for a special outing. Fancy clothing will have to wait for this Momma, because I don’t get a lot of time to mess around with being ultra-stylish. When I do stop to try and sort out my outfits, do my hair or brush my teeth… is usually the time my toddler or the 5 yr old start going through my closet or getting into all sorts of messes. But I’m getting off topic here…  

Since Kloe entered Kindergarten she’s brought home some new awesome and funtastic germs for us all to try out! The most recent round of sickies I thought we’d be over in record time, but ended up lingering for WAY to long! It’s been almost 2 weeks now. And although we know getting sick is normal and we can’t avoid every illness, we can choose to handle the sickies with ease and even some grace.

Thankfully the germs shared this time didn’t mow everyone down all at once. This virus systematically went through our household starting with our youngest, two thanks to sippy cup sharing. Baby K LOVES sippy cups! She’s quit the sippy hoarder. So, when her older sisters wasn’t looking (BTW she’s never looking) baby K snagged the cup and that was all she wrote. Germs successfully passed! Then Baby K came over to me, made cute faces until I gave her my sippy cup to take a swig off and promptly ran off with it.

For a few days it was just me and the girls who were feeling under the weather. Then about 3 days later my husband came down with what we had and then 2 days later my son. Now my son kicked the germs in record time! Probably because he sat on his keester chilling upstairs and playing x-box, staying clear of all the snotty, sneezy people down stairs… And because he’s in high school he’s probably already had whatever this is. I do recall a period of time his freshman year where it took him a while to kick something similar. So, I guess he did his time with these germs and I shouldn’t be jealous. But seriously I am! LOL!! I’m so ready for this to be over!  

My husband took his typical man cocktail of Nyquil and Dayquil and rested a bit. What a cheater! Unfortunately, Nyquil and Dayquil couldn’t save him this time because He’s still working on getting over whatever this is too. I’m telling you this stuff lingers!

I don’t get why my hubs avoids the holistic stuff that I recommend when he knows what I use works! But he’d rather succumb to the gross green death and pass out for 12 hours then listen to me. That is until he’s on deaths door, then he listens to me. I can’t fault him too much though, He’s awesome! He just isn’t into the holistic stuff like I am and I’ve just had to make my peace with that. But at least I can work on the kids and help them be more comfortable with using holistic measures to help them get through the sickies too.   

Of course, the Kindergartner was on the mend pretty quick too. So jealous! She’s still struggled a bit though with drainage and now has a little cough. But that’s pretty normal. Usually mucous kicks up in the sinuses and through drainage ends up in the lungs and then the lungs have to amp up to kick the goobers out. So, she’s doing better with oils and diffuser and only had to have a little natural cough medicine to help her sleep twice.

I’ve done ok through this whole process. I’ve been able to breathe, keep up with the house, cook and work my business a bit. Not too bad for having PCOS and a wacky immune system! Which is another good sign that my body is improving as I continue making better choices for myself. And although I’m still working on kicking this thing, I can feel it’s almost over. Yay!

The baby is the one who I feel has had the toughest time so far. Although she can breathe and seems to feel pretty good in general. She’s still her normal self during the day, plays and gets into stuff...she’s still draining and coughing up yuckies. And with her being so young it’s been a struggle to keep her from swallowing what her lungs are trying to expel. So, it almost feels like she’s going around in circles with this virus. But she’s a trooper and the oils, diffuser and vinegar (yes, she loves vinegar- not sure why) definitely helps her a lot too. Like most little's she hates the nose sucker and it’s like fighting an octopus to get that bulb syringe in her nose! Thankfully we can distract her with photos on the wall long enough to clean her nose. And of course, there’s always the ever-lovely saline nasal mist. Which helps too, but boy does she HATE it!! It’s like torture to get her to hold still for that, so we’ve tried to only use it when necessary. But so far so good, she been less and less mucousy. So, I’m praying shell be over it soon too. Now if I could keep her from wiping her nose on my pants and shirt….

I wish I could say this was an easy virus to kick, but at least it hasn’t been the worst! Getting sick is normal and keeps our immune system on its toes, so I’m not mad. I’m just ready for our bodies to balance back out again. And with all that we’ve had going on I’m super grateful we’re all still functioning and soon to be on the mend! Which makes me even more happy for my powerhouse of super food nutrition, essential oils and vinegar/water solution! For without those I’d be curled up in a corner unable to move or breathe. So, I’ll choose to be thankful for this test in our immune systems and that Jesus has led us to a better way of taking care of ourselves. For with these lovely holistic measures we can be in a better place health wise to handle these nasty germs when they hit our household.

What about you? Do you have a favorite holistic regimen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to get your kids to eat healthier!

The best way I know of getting the kids to eat healthier is to have them help you prepare the food! Egg muffins are a super simple meal to make, and an easy way to get the kids involved too! All you have to do is cut up your toppings, lay them aside and mix the eggs. Once you're done mixing the eggs (I recommend the adult do this if the kids are little), add the egg mixture to the muffin tin evenly, and then have the kids sprinkle in the toppings. Easy peasy! In this recipe we used 12 eggs, added 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 cup tomato and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake @ 375° for 20 minutes. I'm so proud of Miss K for helping me make these today! 💕 She did such a great job helping! And once they were done she was super excited to chow down on the fruits of her labor.

MEAL PLAN

Planning meals out ahead of time should not make you want to cross your eyes and faint at the thought! It's actually pretty simple when you think about it. It just takes a few minutes. Over time you will get better and better at it too! So the time you spend in the future on this project will be less and less. Check out my " CLEAN EATING " page for a larger view of this weeks MEAL PLAN and GROCERY LIST!! It's actually pretty simple to eat clean! This is great for people struggling with PCOS like me.